Alpes Mont-Blanc: Mountains and More
The train beckons for an encounter with the mountains. Picturesque Alpes Mont-Blanc provides you many inspirations to come visit. While Lyon tempts you with its gastronomy, Annecy lures you with picture-perfect landscapes. Go onwards and upwards to the ski resorts of Chamonix and Megeve for some alpine fun!
Take on a discovery of its exquisite collection of Renaissance buildings which does justice to its UNESCO World Heritage Site distinction. Keep an eye out for interesting murals that adorn the walls of many buildings in Lyon.
Take the kids to the Institut Lumiére for a cinema initiation and learn more about the fascinating history of the Lumière brothers. Pay a visit to the iconic Fourvière cathedral for stunning views of the city. Spend an amusing time discovering Old Lyon with its traboules or hidden passageways.
Home to a thriving silk industry of yore, include a visit to the Maison des Canuts that acquaints you with the fine art of silk making and provides many reasons to indulge in retail therapy of the silken kind!
Enjoy simulating experiences at the I-Way that offers 18 driving simulators for a thrilling racing experience!
Famous world-over for its gastronomy, Lyon is a foodie haven. Nourish the epicurean in you with visits to celebrated chef Paul Bocuse's famous indoor market. If its hearty local fare that you crave, then head straight to a traditional Lyonnais bouchon for many delectable encounters!
Picture Perfect Annecy
Cocooned between mountain and known as the "Venice of the Alps", Annecy charms with its placid lake and its quaint flower decked quays intersected with canals. Discover local sights such as the 12th century Palais de l'Isle which is an island fortress in the River Thiou and offers splendid views of the Old Town.
Lake Annecy tempts you to plan family picnics that promise enjoyable outings. Enjoy a host of aquatic activities such as swimming, sailing, parasailing and diving to keep the adrenalin pumping!
Take on discoveries of quaint villages that surround Lake Annecy. A choice of 24 villages tempt you to discover more about the French art de vivre or way of life. Discover charming Talloires that is located at the foot of the highest peak around the lake. This elegant village entices you with its local sightseeing and a host of activities ranging from tennis, golf to adventure trails.
Feel completely local with visits to weekly or seasonal markets that take place in and around Annecy and villages that border Lake Annecy. Local produce, arts and crafts are yours for the taking!
Vibrant Chamonix Mont Blanc
A rendezvous with the awe inspiring Mont Blanc awaits at Chamonix! Pulsating with a vibrant energy, Chamonix is ideal for both summer and winter visits. Choose from skiing, rafting, paragliding, golf or even wellness cures.
Do include a visit to the coveted Aiguille du Midi peak located at 3842 m above sea level. Accessible by cable car, enjoy its latest attraction "A Step into the Void", an ingenious glass overhanging offering 360 degrees panoramic views of the Mont Blanc range.
Take on a charming rack railway ride from Montenvers brings you to t the Mer de Glace (Sea of Ice), France's largest glacier offering panoramic vistas of alpine peaks
Plan an entertaining outing with the kids at the Chamonix Amusement Park famous for its attraction the Chamonix Luge Alpine Coaster. This 2 person sled running on a rail track promises many thrills!
Go extravagant and plan a helicopter discovery of the stunning Mont Blanc Massif.
Car-free Megève offers you an authentic experience. Enjoy a feel of all things quaint as you get about this village on horse-drawn carriages.
Want a reindeer encounter? Head to the Domaine du Coulairon to visit a reindeer breeding farm. A dinner in a yurt adds exciting touches of the different to your outing!
An elegant sojourn awaits at the exclusive Les Fermes de Marie that promises many opportunities to rejuvenate.
Make your agenda an active one with activities such as skiing, snowboarding, dog sleighing, hot-air ballooning, hiking and climbing.
Natural Encounters in the Alpes Mont-Blanc:
Keep the family fun momentum going with visits to adventure parks, bird parks and the like. Here's what you can look forward to:
- The Parc des Oiseaux: Home to one of the most impressive and colourful bird collection in Europe, discover 300 species of birds from all over the world. Children are sure to enjoy the Birds in Flight Show that has 150 birds entertaining a rapt audience! Take a train from Lyon to Villars-les-Dombes (30 minutes). The Park is 15 minutes from the station.
- Peaugres Park: Explore the biggest wildlife park of the Rhone Alpes spanning an expanse of 80 hectares. Discover the park by bus, by foot or by car. Take on a safari visit that allows you to meet park animals from the safety of your car. The Park is at an hour's drive from Lyon.
- Crocodile Farm: Plan an interesting outing to the Crocodile Farm where 10 species of crocodiles wait to greet you. Over 400 animals live on the premises of the farm which guarantee an entertaining day out for families. The Farm is at 90 minutes distance from Lyon.
- Walibi Theme Park: Take the family to Walibi Theme Park that offers a choice of rides and shows. Spend many happy hours in its water park Aqualibi promising unlimited entertainment! The Park is an approximate hour's distance from Lyon by road. Shuttle services from Lyon are also possible.
Know Before You Go:
- Reach Lyon from Paris in just under 2 hours thanks to the efficient TGV.
- Annecy is at a distance of 2 train hours from Lyon while Chamonix is about a 3 hours train journey from Annecy.
- Take the train from Annecy to reach Sallanches (75 minutes) which is the railhead for Megeve.