Rendez-vous in Caen
Caen at the heart of Normandy
A destination between land and sea
Situated between land and sea, Caen is a thriving and dynamic city offering a rare wealth of heritage and culture, enriched with 1000 years of history. Fonded by William the Conqueror in the 11th century, the city has an exceptional architectural heritage such as the two abbeys, gems of Norman Romanesque art or the ducal castle considered as one of the largest fortress in Europe. The visitors enjoy the fabulous atmosphere created by the maritime sweetness of the marina and the green elegance of the race course and the numerous parks in the very heart of the city centre.The cultural life is intense: numerous museums (Caen Memorial, Normandy Museum or Fine Arts Museum), theatre,… With a varied choice of hotels and restaurants, a good commercial city centre with prestigious brands , Caen is a place where the good life comes easy.
Not to be missed in Caen
- L'Abbaye aux Hommes (The Men's Abbey) and l’ (the Ladies' Abbey), two gems of Norman Romanesque art and symbol of the love story between William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda.
- Le Mémorial de Caen, centre for history and peace: the visitors plunge into the heart of the history of the 20th century.
- Le château ducal (the ducal castle) overhanging the city and offers splendid panoramic views.
- The other museums such as the Normandy Museum or the Fine Arts Museum both located in the castle
- The canal linking Caen to the sea
- The amusement Festyland Park based on the history of Normandy, from the vikings to the 19th century.
Let's have a break !
Feel like a change of scene? Get away from it all and enjoy one of the short break packages proposed by the Caen Tourist Office all year round to discover the city, in a way that suits you! Heritage, history, shopping, family activities... There is something for everyone !
Normandy is a region renowned for its gastronomy : Camembert, Calvados, Pommeau, crème fraiche, scallops… just the very mention is enough to make the mouth water. Caen is also instrumental in perpetuating this reputation thanks to its specialities, its renowned restaurants and some original initiatives.
Unmissable events in Caen ...
- International Moot Court Competition (January)
- Printemps balkanique, Balkan culture festival (March-June)
- Passages de témoins, literary festival (May)
- Rétro festival, old timer vehicles event (July)
- Viva Voce, Lower Normandy Vocal Music Festival (July)
- Festival Beauregard, Pop rock Festival (July)
- Caen soirs d’été, street shows (July-August)
- Presqu’ile en fête, cultural and sport activities (September)
- International Caen Fair (September)
- Festival Nördik Impakt, electronic culture event (October)
- Les Boréales de Normandie, Nordic creative festival (November)
Make Caen one of your conquests !
How to come to Caen
- Railway Station (numerous daily trains from Paris) : 2h
- Airport of Caen-Carpiquet (daily international flights via Lyon)
- A cross-channel ferry port linking Caen to Portsmouth
- a dense motorway network: A13 from Paris, Rouen and Le Havre, A84 from Rennes and Nantes, A88/A28 from le Mans and A29 from Lille
Contact and Information
Office de Tourisme de Caen
Place Saint Pierre
Tel: +33 2 31 27 14 14